“300” is a 2007 American epic action film directed by Zack Snyder and based on the 1998 comic series of the same name by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley.
The film tells the story of King Leonidas (played by Gerard Butler) and his 300 Spartans who fought to the death against the massive Persian army led by King Xerxes (played by Rodrigo Santoro) at the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC.
Throughout the film, we see the intense training and preparation of the Spartans, their valiant efforts to hold off the Persian army, and their ultimate sacrifice for the freedom of Greece.
The film was a commercial success, grossing over $456 million worldwide. It also received mixed to positive reviews from critics, who praised the film's visuals and action sequences, but criticized its historical inaccuracies.
Some of the awards and nominations received by “300” include:
- Academy Awards: Nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects
- BAFTA Awards: Nominated for Best Special Visual Effects
- Saturn Awards: Won for Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film, Best Supporting Actor (for David Wenham), and Best Special Effects
- MTV Movie Awards: Won for Best Fight (for the battle at the Hot Gates) and Best Villain (for Rodrigo Santoro as Xerxes)
- Teen Choice Awards: Won for Choice Movie: Action, Choice Movie Actor: Action (for Gerard Butler), and Choice Movie: Breakout Female (for Lena Headey)
|Directed by||Zack Snyder|
|Produced by||Gianni Nunnari Mark Canton Bernie Goldman Jeffrey Silver|
|Screenplay by||Zack Snyder Kurt Johnstad Michael B. Gordon|
by Frank MillerLynn Varley
|Starring||Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, David Wenham, Dominic West,|
|Music by||Tyler Bates|
|Edited by||William Hoy|
|Legendary Pictures Virtual Studios Atmosphere Entertainment MM Hollywood Gang Productions|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Release date||December 9, 2006 (Butt-Numb-A-Thon) March 9, 2007 (United States)|
|Running time||116 minutes|
|Box office||$456.1 million|